Sunday, September 4, 2016

Koza Eisa Festival

Last weekend as I drove to the dentist, I saw signs that there would be a big weekend long Eisa Festival at the Koza Sports Center near the base.  I made plans and drove to the base last Sunday with my camera to watch. (Russ doesn't care for these sorts of things so I'm usually on my own when I want to go to a festival). I parked at the base and walked to the festival so I didn't have to figure out where to park at the Sports center. They had Eisa groups from all over the island performing their unique programs and dressed in their region's costume. I happened to arrive shortly before our local Kin Town group performed. This was followed by our other local Ishikawa group. (We live in Kin Town at the edge of Ishikawa). It was a great "people watching" sort of event. I thoroughly enjoyed myself walking around taking pictures of all the groups as they prepared to enter the field for their show. Many were happy to pose for me when they saw my camera. I was even interviewed by a Japanese news group which was a little awkward.  I figured I'd never see it publicized so I agreed to let him ask me a few questions. Many of the locals dressed up in kimonos and groups of friends and families had picnics on the lawn as they watched the Eisa dances.

Here are some of my favorite pictures from the festival. You can see the rest of them on my facebook page.

One of our Kin Town drummers that came
to our neighborhood during Obon

Each group had pictures taken before their performances

Many teams had these dancers that wore wigs
with the hair in the air.

Loved catching them mid-jump. They were enjoying themselves.

This little man caught my eye as he was
practicing before they went on the field so
I took several of him during the program. I wonder how
long he's been doing this.

Most of the groups are younger groups but Ishikawa has an older
group that performs. 

Some, when they saw my camera would
strike a pose.

Future Eisa drummer posed for me. He was
too cute in his full Eisa costume.

I thought this little girl was adorable in
her kimono. Her Mom let me take a
picture of her.

Some of the girls dressed in kimonos, picnicking on the lawn

Each group had a whistler who would whistle a
high pitched shrill.

They performed in circles around the lawn so
everyone in the stadium had a view.

This guy did a full dance for me when he saw
the camera.

This little one was focused on the program
with his drum in hand.

He did a dance pose for me and then relaxed
and smiled for me too.

Another whistler.

Even though this one is blurred I loved it
because of his expression. It was dark by this time.

These dancers were having fun. Loved catching
their joy in their performance

He's waiting for his turn to perform.

Another focused future Eisa drummer

Each group had their own clown dancers

Even while carrying a heavy banner he
struck a pose for me.

One more of the girls having fun.

Watching the other teams perform while waiting for their turn.

Last group I watched before walking back to base. Taken in the dark so
a little blurry. Loved the action shot though.


There were food vendors outside the gate to the park

Some of the food choices.

Cotton Candy

Some of the spectators wearing their kimonos and obi's

Two Sanshin musicians

The Ishikawa Eisa Group





No comments:

Post a Comment